image: header

Home | Miggy's Books | Blog

Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Driver's License

It wasn't the way I planned it.
       Driving was the last thing I'd ever give up.  Driving all those years, never an accident, never a traffic ticket nor a crumpled fender. But here I was waiting in line in a borrowed car at the Pennsylvania Vehicle Testing Station.  All I had to do was pass the eye exam and the physical driving exam. I smiled in the rear view mirror at myself.
       "Wonder how many grannies are here?"  I patted the Volvo steering wheel.  And then he was at the door.  The tester!
         "Alright, alright!" and he settled his ample size next to mine. I had decided not to be fatuous, just to listen to the directions. Besides I wanted to concentrate. Everything was going swimmingly until the first question.  The emergency signals.  Where were they?  I had no idea. That he did was to his everlasting credit.  But he was the test-er and I was the testee!  
     Then we ascended a small hill to the parallel parking torture chamber.  Orange barrels parked where regular cars should be. My assignment, park behind the first two. I thought I did okay, but out of nowhere he gave a mighty voice.
       "Now, go down the hill and return to the starting lineup." Aha, an accelerated line.  Obediently, I pulled to the curb and waited for him to speak.  "You'll be hearing soon." And he jumped out of the car.  I did report back in a few weeks and made application for another driving test.  Same test, same station and same lump inthe middle of my stomch.
      Driving up the incline where the Orange County orange barrels stood, i thought to myself, "Orange-bellied sapsuckers!" This time I did it faster, but I was never sure whether or not that was a plus. When I went to straighten up in reverse, he yelled at me full bore.
     "Stop!  STOP!"
      " WHY?"
     "You've already had your three reverses."
      "I didn't know anyone was counting." I mumbled.So another FAILED on the famous test.
One more to go.  How had this seemingly simple requirement produced such anxiety? This time we went to a different part of the city and watched each tester walk to each nervous driver, Now it was my time and I babbled like the old lady that I am. But he neither smiled nor did he laugh.  But when we had successfully navigated our way around those barrels,he did say one word rather disdainfully.
       "You passed!" But that clearly was not the END.








          

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Content Copyright Mildred Krentel | Layout & Graphic Design Copyright Eagle Designs