image: header

Home | Miggy's Books | Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

Did I ever think that I would be living to this age? I want to travel  . . . but where and with whom and will there be enough money? Is that a foolish idea for a ninety-year-old lady? I wonder. I expect that I will have to choose another lady to travel with now that my husband has gone and she will surely snore in the middle of the night, I know. Probably pick her teeth and blow her nose and open her hankie to sneak a peek. Will she also balance peas on her knife?

Deep down inside me, I have a crying room where I yearn for long-gone "sit-and-rock-with-me" friendships. Here it is that I weep for those who were Heaven-bound and have hurried on by without a glance at that cup of coffee waiting on my front porch. Choice souls they --who have passed the finish line ahead of me.

This morning I think of what I should be doing, not caring that I sit here at my desk in night clothes, hair unwashed, last night's makeup fading, knowing that if someone should stop and knock at my front door, I should have to run and hide under my bed.

I have nothing to say today. Yet, I have written much. I have written much but said nothing. However, now I must deal with another day that must be shaken down into a meaningful something. A measure needs to be taken to examine the depth of my soul's melancholy.

But, honestly, in times like these I think a song is needed. There's got to be a melody around here somewhere. The sun is shining and the breeze is warm. No, not Yankee Doodle nor Three Blind Mice but He's Got the Whole World in His Hands.

And actually now, what greater assurance do we need?

4 comments:

  1. Ha! I don't think you need to be your age to hope nobody catches you at noon in your nightgown and a mess! Do you know about Skype? I've said that I'll be a fan of it when we have those machines like they had on the old cartoon the Jetson's where the hood-type hair dryer comes down and when it lifts we have makeup and hair all done. Until then, I'll stick with the phone! But oh dear, my new iPhone has the same face to face feature. There's about to be no place to hide!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so good to reconnect - I kept thinking I knew you and then when Kathy, another South beach buddy surfaced it all came back. Can you name some of the rest? Thank you for commenting. I do feel that keeping up with the writing is a self-centered occupation. But A FLOOD OF MEMORIES came down and convinced me otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kathy, Sandy, you and I are all I remember. I had fun with that board, and am glad to see us all friends on facebook too. A couple of the recipes made it into my repertoire, and I certainly learned what I should eat and what I should go light on. It is the best plan for me, when I'm on a plan! You sent me your books and I enjoyed them. Our daughter recently moved to New Jersey (her husband is in the army.) We fly in and out of Philadelphia when we visit, and I think of you. I think you're the only person I "know" who lives in PA.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe someday on one of those trips I'll stop by for that cup of coffee!

    ReplyDelete

 
Content Copyright Mildred Krentel | Layout & Graphic Design Copyright Eagle Designs