image: header

Home | Miggy's Books | Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Yoo Hoo - - -

The doorbell rings and I climb into the shower stall and pull the curtain closed.

My daughter Melissa has arrived for the weekend with me. Melissa lives in Melmark, a residential school for the mentally challenged about ten miles away. But now the weekend is here and Melissa is coming home to visit.  She now is outside my apartment door, but not for long.  She flings the door open with a flourish and carols loudly - - "Yoo Hoo, Mommy, where are you?"

But Mommy is ready and now waits in the shower stall for the hide and seek game that follows.  Through each and every room Melissa sings the same message over and over demanding with giggles to know where I am.  Every once in a while, I call back with the same greeting, "Yoo Hoo, Melissa, come find me." But she can never tell where my voice comes from and frequently goes off in the other direction. But that only adds to the fun.

Finally I am discovered and she dissolves in fits of hilarity in my arms. Oh the joy of childhood.  For Melissa will be a child even as she adds to her forty-seven years. And I, soon to be ninety, relax in  the bliss of being a child again.

"Yoo Hoo,  God, do You know where I am?"

Can you ever find a hiding place where our God can not find you? 
Aren't you glad He knows? But, aren't you sad that He sees that you have made little change in your life, your habits, your choices? Maybe the reason He finds us so speedily is that we have not made any progress since last we met, we still are marching up-down, up-down standing in place. No ground gained. Our eyes are everywhere but on Him. It's hard to follow God that way.

Remember that song - "Turn your eyes upon Jesus, look full in His wonderful face,
                                    and the things of earth will grow strangely dim
                                    in the light of His glory and grace."

2 comments:

  1. How blessed Melissa is to have you for a mom! Still fun after all these years!

    ReplyDelete

 
Content Copyright Mildred Krentel | Layout & Graphic Design Copyright Eagle Designs