image: header

Home | Miggy's Books | Blog

Sunday, September 19, 2010

To visit the widows and fatherless - -

It was a new venture for our group at the Wellington.

For five years, we met every Wednesday night at 7:15.  We called ourselves the Fellowship.  Speakers that were inspirational or educational were enticed to speak and we shared in their joy and outreach. It was a huge responsibility. But. although our name boasted of our fellowship, in actuality there was none.

Things changed however in this year's planning commitee.  It was decided to use that time for visiting folks that were lonely or ailing here in our assisted living or skilled nursing unit.  Those in charge would suggest names to visit. And we would arrive with huge smiles to cheer them, to play a game, read to them or just to sitt and hold their hand. Well and good.  Made us feel good just talking about it.  Wasn't that what Jesus did and surely He wanted us to follow Him, right?

So the following week names were distributed and off we went. Each on his own mission.

 Knocking timidly on the door of some lady I did not know, I waited and heard nothing.  I knocked again with more vigor and this time a strong voice with a fair amount of irritation in it said,  "I'm on the bathroom."  Just that, no more. "Okay, I'll just wait out here." I offered.

In due time, the door was opened and I was welcomed into her lovely apartment. We sat and exchanged the facts and figures of our lives.  Married twice, four children all in West Chester, her girlfriend and many local acquaintances were almost crowding her out of her apartment. She was delightful, but . . . why would they put her name on some list?

I surely did not know. I left soon afterwards for we both decided that my friendship was not needed. It was strange.  It had never ocurred to me that someone would not like me.  Oh dear, this was not going well. I decided I would drop by my good friend Stefi.  At least I would get a great welcome there.

But Stefi was not buying either.  I mentioned something in passing about maybe using Wednesdays for visiting and laughingly asked her a rhetorical question about how would she like to have me come and see her every Wednesday. "Every Wednesday?"  she asked, pure horror widening her eyes.  "No-no-no" I protested. We laughed together and soon I left as night-time meds were being passed out.

I don't know about the other visits that were taking place at the same time. Things were not going as planned for me.  But that is simply the first impression. Never discontinue good efforts until all the votes are counted. I am sure there are many who would welcome a visit and we shall uncover them soon enough.

"Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look arter orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world."  James 1:27)

4 comments:

  1. Oh, dear, Miggy! Do you think God is testing to see if you'll persevere, or the enemy is tempting you to give up?

    Perhaps the first lady just THOUGHT she didn't need you as a friend. I'd love you to visit me any old Wednesday night. I'm in Paris, Illinois. I'll be waiting...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aren't you dear? Thank you for taking time to comment. it seems that every time I think,"Hey, that's no problem, I like to visit." I fall flat on my face. I think I need to depend entirely on Him. Yes, we would have a great visit would we not?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen -
    I tried to find your blog to answer about Melissa and the playing cards and what transpired on the sidewalk outside the Acme on that fateful day. We talked her out of all but two packs and she then paid for those. Was she convinced of the virtue of not stealing? Not really.Tell me how to convince her, someone - - anyone! Anybody for Solitaire?
    Melissa's mom - miggy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you've had other visits that have gone a little better. I admire your efforts to move outside yourself and reach out.

    I'm enjoying your posts about life in the retirement center. My mother-in-law chose to move to a similar apartment about a year ago. As it turned out, my husband has been on a long term work assignment in the same town, and visits her a couple of evenings a week. He's told many of your same stories learned around her dinner table with the other residents. Even though some of your thoughts aren't laugh worthy, just very true and apparently common to man, they've made me chuckle. In particular, I can relate to the repetitive conversations and the unintentional (I'm sure!) insults!

    ReplyDelete

 
Content Copyright Mildred Krentel | Layout & Graphic Design Copyright Eagle Designs